Thursday 13 September 2012

Turning Something Old into Something New!

The last few posts have been about our 'Repurposing Days' and I thought i'd share with the children a little bit about the ULTIMATE repurposing place LITERALLY just down the road from our little school. I've contacted the place to see if we could possibly have a field trip there, and :( they said not likely. It is a place that is a bit outside of the 'safe zone' for a larger group of children. Although I know these children could handle it, I respect where they are coming from. So instead I took a few photos.
Our little community has a little gem. It's a haven for people renovating their home, and for an Early Childhood Educator.... it's well.... a bit of a happy place!

It's a new and used recycling centre. It's always new and changing, and it's full of many treasures. If you are renovating your home and looking for that EXACT bathtub... you may luck out, or you may need to rethink your plans, it's really whatever is available. It's a place that old kitchens go in the hope of becoming someones new kitchen. It's a toilet graveyard, door collection, and window waiting area.

So when I went there a few months ago, hoping to find some patio stones, what I found was a place that would quickly become a threat to my bank account.

The children looked long and hard at the photos and spotted items that would be useful to our school. So mommies and daddies, if you are redoing your tile and making a trip to this glorious place, I know of a child that would be UBER excited to tag along!
So when I said I went to look for paving stones, who knew that I was going to leave with THIS MANY PAVING STONES???

My dad's poor trailer.... it didn't know what hit it!

What did we do with those paving stones? Take a look.....
The paving bricks themselves were rubber, so the children were only too eager to help, and it was easy for them too!


The finished product.... so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment