Thursday 15 November 2012

Whaaaa?

We have been all inflicted with 'the sniffles' over the last few weeks, and it has made us all feel pretty miserable and sad. So I had to share the trick I used to get on the other side of the congestion. No, this post is not really related to our adventures, but it's worth a share.
It's called the Cold Sock Treatment, and before you completely write it off, I have to tell you it seemed to have worked for me. I have done it before, as a suggestion from a friend, so I thought i'd give it a go. Sometimes we just have to try things, just because nothing else works. I don't know the exact science behind it, but from what I understand it rushes the blood to your feet immediately, to counteract the freezing cold feet you have. It seems to be related to the swelling in your nose, and drains the swelling very quickly, thus making it easier to breathe again.
Who doesn't love a good foot soak? Foot soaks, even for children have their added benefits, they are especially useful just before bed time, as they are known to slow down anxiety, and that racing brain, which, let's face it, children do suffer from, just the same as adults. A good warm foot soak is great for everyone in the winter months, just to get the chill out of our bodies.
The cold sock treatment does a lot for the congestion, but still seems to leave the fogginess and tiredness behind, all the things that make us quite miserable... this is the part that breaks my heart when the children are ill.
To counteract the fogginess, I upped my vitamin D intake, and that seems to have REALLY helped.
Of course the best thing is to get outdoors. Breathe in the nice fresh air. Keeping your children inside makes them restless and lethargic, and it increases their chances of getting sick. Children need to be outside EVERY DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment