Wednesday 1 May 2013

Go Ahead... give it a go!

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling like someone has been watching me. It happens everyday at lunch time. It's actually not a feeling at all, it's reality. The children have been salivating at my lunches, at first I thought they have been just curious, but i'm getting the sense that it's actual salivating. It's not like i'm having something they have never seen before. It's a salad, just a salad, that's all. Without describing my delicious salad I will just say, they are yummy!
So it comes as no surprise that the children have taken a large interest in my food at lunch time. They ask me about each ingredient. The interest has become so intense, that we've decided that in the summer we will plan a salad eating day, where we can create our own yummy dishes! 
In the meantime though, there is one ingredient that comes up in conversation a lot. It's avocados. Myself and another child have avocados in some form or another nearly every day. It's caused quite a bit of curiosity. So today I decided to bring one out for us to check out and taste. It's been interesting listening to the theories of what an avocado is. Many felt that it was orange and round, and were surprised when out came this dark green, egg shaped fruit. When I cut it open it roused a squeal of delight, as the children right away noticed the GIANT seed in the middle (which is, of course, balancing nicely over a jar of water on our window sill)
The greatest part of the whole thing was FINALLY getting to the good stuff, and tasting the delicious fruit. Because many had obviously never seen an avocado before, I was wondering how they would respond to the taste. I was quite surprised when 95% of the children were all about having thirds and fourths, and would have had more, if it wasn't for the fact that we had run out of our avocado supply!
So go ahead... give new things a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment