Thursday 26 April 2012

Dandelion Art (part1)

It seems that overnight someone took our grass and replaced it with some dandelions. Now, the Early Childhood person in me is very happy to see these little yellow guys. But on the other hand, the 'first time with a lawn to care for' person in me cringes. It's really a battle of wills. 
But as Jan White points out in her post about dandelions they are complex flowers and ones that seem to have a bit of a bad rap. So because we have a plethora of dandelions at our disposal, this will be the first of a series of what we find to do with dandelions.


As we were walking through the forest this week we stopped occasionally to pick up a dandelion or two, and discovered that there growing along side them were some purple flowers. Now, as a daughter of a horticulturalist I am supposed to know the name of the purple flower, but I just can't remember it... so we called it a Grape Flower, because it reminds us of a cluster of grapes. 
We picked a large number of these two wild flowers, and I suddenly spotted one child holding a dandelion with a grape flower they had stuck in the stem of the dandelion. I was so curious, so I stopped to take a photo.



As we continued along, I then noticed that each and every child had done the exact same thing with their flowers. 




Just for fun here's a fun little Dandelion Time Lapse video that we found so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment