Thursday 22 March 2012

Sticky Wall and Volcanoes

Right now as I sit down to type this I can hear a possessed dinosaur toy, that has been roaring non-stop, after a little trip to the water table. I ended up stuffing it in the dryer (it's not running), just so that we don't have to hear it anymore. It's been making us laugh, but we've had quite enough. I didn't even know it made noise!

Back to the post! I've been eagerly wanting to make a contact paper wall in the centre the moment I came across it on pinterest. So here's our first attempt at it. We used our foam blocks on it, for right now the children seemed to be rather fascinated with the possibilities, so the blocks are placed on it in a random fashion. Give it time, and we'll start to see patterns emerge. 
At first the children did not even notice anything there, they really thought that there was just random strips on the wall, because even though you can see the contact paper in this picture, it's really not that obvious. So the first child that discovered that the wall was indeed sticky was a little taken aback! The border in itself is neat to get a close up of (i'll try to remember to take a picture of it), it's a reel from the local newspaper. I'm not sure if it's what they used to print from, or if it's for a projection machine.. it's just really quite neat.

We discovered something else our sticky wall was for.... it's great to stick our feel on....

.... which in turn leaves neat little prints.


To be completely random. We made a volcano! Our old playdough became a nice mold for the volcano. The children were anticipating the explosion! I will tell you that I, like the children, love a good explosion. I'm just not feeling the baking soda and vinegar deal, so i'd like to do this again with the neat recipe I found on pinterest. But the children screamed with delight every time the volcano 'spewed'

A little vinegar...

Kaboom!!!

I'm not sure why it turned yellow... there was both red and yellow food colouring in the volcano, I guess that yellow was the more dominant colour!!! 

It was really fun, and always a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment