Monday 12 March 2012

There Are No Words....

Spring is nearly upon us, and alas, so is the up and down temperatures that bring on the spring sniffles. So on Friday I had no voice, literally less than a whisper, so I sadly announced, in the best way I could, that we would have to forgo circle time. I just was not quick enough on my feet on Friday to come up with a wordless circle (after giving it some thought, I do have a back up plan for 'next time'), so in my head circle time was cancelled. BUT, the children had other plans. So while we continued playing, an impromptu circle was formed, complete with a greeting song, story, calendar time, fingerplay, and a dismissal. It was pretty clever! 
I was not able to get too many pictures, but you get the idea. The 'director' of the circle introduced the children to the word of BMX Bike Riding, meanwhile all the young children sat eagerly listening to the details being spouted out. 






I have my moments where I wonder if I should continue a formal circle time, especially with such a mixed aged group, but moments like this remind me that that the children enjoy this time, and look forward to it each day. When I told the children that circle time was cancelled, one child looked at me with his concerned face and said, 'But I won't learn anything today.' It's nice to hear that they enjoy it so much, and benefit from it. Little do they know that there are other times in the day that learning happens. But, I do enjoy that time with the children as a group. So in amongst all the other learning opportunities throughout our play filled day, the children will continue to enjoy circle time each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment