Tuesday 29 May 2012

Delight in Objects

My weekly trips to Value Village, nearly always pay off. I find all sorts of things, and I will be honest in saying that each time I go I am looking for one item in particular, and the other things are just bonuses! I go each week to see if I can spot a manual coffee grinder. A few months ago Danielle from Images of Learning had shared how she found a manual coffee grinder on a whim at Value Village, and I couldn't get it out of my head how many uses that tool would have in our classroom. So every weekend, I would waltz into my local Value Village in search of an illusive coffee grinder. Over the course of the last few months I would fail to find one, but find SO MANY other treasures instead. These treasures have become a regular part to our program, and has enhanced our classroom immensely. So I have to say... last weekend, I found one!!! I feel a huge sense of accomplishment, but can't help but feel a bit of a void. I'm sure my trips to good ole' VV have not finished yet, but i'm sure I don't have to go as often... good news for my bank account :)
So after that long lengthy introduction, I wanted to share with you a really neat treasure that I wasn't sure that would amount to anything. They were just sitting there hanging on the wall at Value Village. I'm not sure what they are called, perhaps Singing Balls? They are two metal balls that come in a little box and you are meant to roll them together in one hand as a meditative tool. I put them on the shelf, just curious to see what the children would do with them. One child spotted them late in the day, and was only able to play a short while before heading home that day. The next day, he was right there with them in his hand immediately. They make a beautiful jingling sound, so he just totted them around while playing with what ever item he chose to play at that time. Holding both balls in his hand all the while. 
I had set out some 'lazy susans' on the table that day to assist in creating our 3-D art project and turn our projects with ease. The child caring the balls placed one on a lazy susan and a discovery was made! I just couldn't get the full effect through photos, so we took videos of the delightful new way to play with the lazy susan and the singing balls. All the children lined up eagerly to get a chance to give it a try and excitement caught our classroom by storm!
Hopefully the videos work, this is my first time uploading videos, if they don't please let me know!



I love watching the children make connections and inventing new ways to look at objects!

No comments:

Post a Comment