Wednesday 9 May 2012

Provocations

When I set up the environment before the children arrive I try to envision where the play will go. So last week I hung a hanging weigh scale from the roof for a science activity. I left it hanging and placed a variety of items that could hang from it (with a little imagination and innovation). My adult brain couldn't quite see where the play would go, so I kept my eye on that area all day to see what the children came up with. 
For much of the day the children generally ignored the scale, to most they just pushed it out of the way as if it was more of a nuisance. I was tempted to take it down, but i'm glad I didn't. 

It started with one spiky block being hooked on the scale, so I watched to see where it went from there. 

It was tricky getting them to stick to each other while suspended from mid air, but with a little perseverance, delicate fingers and a LOT of patience something was coming together!



Do you see what it was? It was a Periscope!!!

Of course once the prototype was made, it was time to move on to perfect it. So a set of eye holes were attached. 


This was definitely a lesson in patience and to not give up on provocations and to just give it time allow the magic to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment