Thursday 16 February 2012

Achieving Great Things

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

Last week we put old CD's on the background of our light table, and this is what we discovered it does!
In response to Teacher Tom's post last week about tree climbing, I did think it was rather fitting to share this photo. This used to be a fig tree. I was rather disappointed that it came to this, but this tree attracted WAY too many wasps and hornets to our yard, (I try not to let this affect how I work with the children, but I am highly allergic to wasp stings) and it was decided to cut it down. I'm only trying to justify this decision to myself, so bear with me... you see, one could not even get within ten feet of this tree without having wasps fly at your face, plus they were literally drunk off the fig nectar. It became just too much. Ahhh, that's better. Anyhow, Teacher Tom was expressing his disdain over the city park trees having their lower branches cut off, leaving tree climbing out of the question. So isn't it fitting that the children here have discovered the 'low branches' of our fig tree and have chosen to climb them, now to move on to a tree that has the higher branches as well!
'Look we can see the wind'

This little Christmas tree sparked a extended enactment of the 'Grinch Who Stole Christmas'. It looks very 'who-like' doesn't it? The search was on for more items needed to tell the story. 

This was when the Grinch took Christmas away. The little tree is in there, along with all the 'presents' all pulled on a sleigh (crazy carpet), all this was done by some Grinches with Santa hats. 
This play led to the need to climb on the roof of our playhouse to go down the chimney. It took a few tries and failures learning opportunities before a major breakthrough. Now it's the favourite hangout. I have yet to get up there myself, but I have been informed that the children can see Africa!
Sensory experience in process. All this was on 'mackTack' and is now happily displayed on our window!


No comments:

Post a Comment