Tuesday 14 February 2012

LOTR and Music!

"If you can walk you can dance. If you can talk you can sing." -- Zimbabwe Proverb


Today I asked the children what we should share with our blog readers. They unanimously announced 'LORD OF THE RINGS!' This was mostly because it was still fresh in their memory, and I believe because they felt like they had explored a little into my personal life! 

You see, I LOVE music! Music is a large part of my life. At a young age I begged my parents to let me take piano lessons, but at that time my parents were not sure that I would enjoy it, and to be honest I probably would have resented it. But in my mid twenties I took it upon myself to learn to play, so now I can hold my own. I mean, i'm not about to play any Stravinsky, but I would give it a go! 

I joke about this alot, but it's partly true. I have a soundtrack to my life! It's always playing in my head, and with it's peaks and lows, it's a pretty amazing score. 

So, over the course of the last twenty years I tend to be more in tune with the music that reflects epic-ness! What could be more epic than 'Lord of the Rings'. Now granted, I am not a fan of the movies, just the music. So today I popped in one of my LOTR soundtracks.

The children listened intently and asked about the music. I explained that it's called 'LOTR' and that one song in particular was my favourite, and it's called the 'Hobbit Wedding'. That is all the information they received about this music. So it surprised me when the conversation turned very quickly into their interpretation of what was happening in the songs. I had to ask if any of them had seen the movie, that's how relatively accurate it was!

During the more 'dark' parts, the children said that the princess was in sad because she missed her ring, because it had gotten lost. Then during the more 'epic' parts, they said the fairies and hobbits are riding the horses up the hills and now they are in a cave. Then it came up that lots of people wanted to find the princess' ring, and make the princess happy. In one particular part of one song they said that the 'bad guy' is being sneaky and is trying to steal the ring. 

Really, are you convinced that they had NOT watched the movie? I guess from the small part of information that I gave them, they decided that a princess needed to be involved, as well as a ring, horses, fairies and Hobbits, and who can forget that 'bad guy'. It's truly amazing how music can conjure up so many images in our heads and we are able to reflect those images into a story. What a blessing to have such abilities!

I wonder what will happen if I play the music during free play... hmm!

This image is of the outcome of the children discovering that there was a battery operated tea light in our animals and rocks. The play that ensued was that the animals had gone camping and they were toasting marshmallows at the campfire! 

I love how they all have little 'stone seats' that they are sitting on!




No comments:

Post a Comment